Dr. Mark S. Akselrod
Dr. Mark S. Akselrod is Chief Scientist and Executive Manager of Landauer, Inc. and Adjunct Professor at the Physics Department of Oklahoma State University. He manages Stillwater, Oklahoma, Crystal Growth Division of Landauer Inc.. He received his B.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering and Semiconductor Technology from the Urals State Technical University in Yekaterinburg, Russia in 1975 and Ph.D. degree in Solid State Physics from the same university in 1983.
His main research interests and achievements are in the field of radiation solid state physics, crystal growth, optical spectroscopy, luminescence dosimetry and optical data storage. He developed super sensitive Al2O3:C single crystal for radiation dosimetry. Novel Al2O3:C, Mg crystals were developed and patented as two-photon absorbing volumetric Optical Data Storage (ODS) media and Fluorescent Nuclear Track Detector (FNTD). Pulsed Optically Stimulated Luminescence (POSL) dosimetry technique was developed and patented while Dr. Akselrod was working at OSU. It was licensed by Landauer, Inc and commercially used together with Al2O3:C OSL material in LUXEL™ and InLight™ technology and instruments. The results of research have been described in more than 70 papers published in peer reviewed scientific journals and conference proceedings. 10 developments of TL and TSEE materials, technologies and devices have been patented in the former USSR. 15 US patents were obtained for materials and application of optical data storage, optically stimulated luminescence, radiation field imaging, and fluorescent nuclear track detector technology.
Dr. Akselrod is a member of Optical Society of America, American Association of Crystal Growth, International Solid State Dosimetry Organization. He served on the Scientific Advisory Committees of 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th Solid State Dosimetry Conferences and is Treasure of the International Solid Sate Dosimetry Organization from 1998 to 2010. He is a reviewer for international scientific journals: "Radiation Measurements", "Journal of Luminescence", "Journal of Crystal Growth" published by Elsevier and "Journal of Radiation Protection Dosimetry" published by Oxford University Press. Invited papers and session chairman at international and national conferences.
Current research projects for students:
- Optically Stimulated Luminescent detectors based on aluminum oxide crystals and instrumentation development
- Fluorescent Nuclear Track Detectors: optical spectroscopy of crystals and instrumentation development
- Optical Data Storage: non-linear optical processes in crystalline media and dynamic testing
Introduction to solid state physics
Design of electronic devices
Technology of metals and other materials
Dr. C. Yoder, Landauer, Inc
Dr. V. Fomenko, Landauer, Inc
Dr. S. Orlov, Stanford University
Prof. S.W.S. McKeever, OSU
Prof. E. Yukihara, OSU
Prof. T. Schlesinger, Carnegie Mellon University
Prof. J. Bain, Carnegie Mellon University.
Dr. M. Mallary, Seagate Technology
Dr. N. Yasuda, NIRS, Japan,
Dr. F. Vanhavere, Belgium Nuclear Research Center
S. Marino, RARAF, Columbia University
Thesis Advisor for Graduate Students:
- M.S. Akselrod and F.J. Bruni, Modern Trends in Crystal Growth and New Applications of Sapphire. J. Cryst. Growth (2012). Published on line February 4, 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2011.12.038
- C. Passmore, M. Million, M. Kirr, J. Bartz, M. S. Akselrod, A. Devita, and J. Berard, Neutron field characterisation at mixed oxide fuel plant, Radiat Prot Dosimetry (2011) Published online October 25, 2011; http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncr390
- J.A. Bartz, G.J. Sykora, T.H. Underwood, D.N. Nichiporov, G.O. Sawakuchi and M.S. Akselrod, Evaluation of aluminum oxide fluorescent and OSL detectors in proton radiotherapy beams. Radiat. Meas. 46 (2011) 1974-1978; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.radmeas.2011.05.047
- J.A. Bartz, G.J. Sykora, E. Bräuer-Krisch, M.S. Akselrod Imaging and dosimetry of synchrotron microbeam with aluminum oxide fluorescent detectors, Radiat. Meas., 46 (2011) 1936-1939; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.radmeas.2011.04.003
- G. Denis, M.G. Rodriguez, M.S. Akselrod, T.H. Underwood, E.G. Yukihara, Time-resolved measurements of optically stimulated luminescence of Al2O3:C and Al2O3: C,Mg, Radiat. Meas., 46 (2011) 1457-1461; http://dx.doi/10.1016/j.radmeas.2011.06.054
- M.G. Rodriguez, G. Denis, M.S. Akselrod, T.H. Underwood, E.G. Yukihara Thermoluminescence, optically stimulated luminescence and radioluminescence properties of Al2O3:C,Mg, Radiat. Meas. 46 (2011) 1469-1473; http://dx.doi/10.1016/j.radmeas.2011.04.026.
- M.S. Akselrod, G.J Sykora Fluorescent Nuclear Track Detector technology - a new way to do passive solid state dosimetry, Radiat. Meas., 46 1671-1679 (2011). http://dx.doi/10.1016/j.radmeas.2011.06.018
- Akselrod M.S. Fundamentals of Materials, Techniques and Instrumentation for OSL and FNTD dosimetry. Chapter in the Book: Concepts and Trends in Medical Radiation Dosimetry, AIP, New York, 2011, pp. 274-302.
- Y. Xu, G. Randers-Pehrson, S. A. Marino, A. W. Bigelow, M. S. Akselrod, J. G. Sykora and D. J. Brenner, An accelerator-based neutron microbeam system for studies of radiation effects, Radiat. Prot. Dosim. (2011) 145(4): 373-376; http://dx.doi/10.1093/rpd/ncq424.
- Sykora, G.J. and Akselrod, M.S., 2010c, Spatial frequency analysis of fluorescent nuclear track detectors irradiated in mixed neutron-photon fields, Radiat. Meas., 45, (10) 1197-1200, (2010) doi:10.1016/j.radmeas.2010.08.022
- Sykora, G. J. and Akselrod, M. S., Novel fluorescent nuclear track detector technology for mixed neutron-gamma fields, Radiation Measurements., Radiat. Meas. 45 (3-6), 594-598 (2010). doi:10.1016/j.radmeas.2010.01.037
- Sykora, G. J. and Akselrod, M. S., Photoluminescence study of photochromically and radiochromically transformed Al2O3:C,Mg crystals used for fluorescent nuclear track detectors, Radiat. Meas. 45 (3-6) 631-634 (2010). doi:10.1016/j.radmeas.2009.11.022
- Sykora, G.J., Akselrod, M.S., Vanhavere, F., Performance of Fluorescence Nuclear Track Detectors in Monoenergetic and Broad Spectrum Neutron Fields. Radiat. Meas. 44, 988-991 (2009). doi:10.1016/j.radmeas.2009.10.027
- Sykora, G.J., Salasky, M., and Akselrod, M.S. Properties of novel fluorescent nuclear track detectors for use in passive neutron dosimetry. Radiat. Meas. 43, 1017-1023 (2008).
- Sykora, G.J., Akselrod, M.S., Benton, E.R., and Yasuda, N. Spectroscopic properties of novel fluorescent nuclear track detectors for high and low LET charged particles., Radiat. Meas. 43, 422 – 426 (2008).
- Yukihara, E.G., Mittani, J.C., Vanhavere, F., and Akselrod, M.S. Development of new optically stimulated neutron dosimeters. Radiat. Meas. 43, 309-314 (2008).
- Akselrod, M.S., Orlov, S.S., Sykora, G.J., Dillin, K.J., and Underwood, T.H.Progress in Bit-Wise Volumetric Optical Storage Using Alumina-Based Media. Proc. of SPIE Vol. 6620, 662003, (2007)
- Mittani, J.C.R., Silva, A.A.R.d., Vanhavere, F., Akselrod, M.S., Yukihara, E.G. 2007b. Investigation of neutron converters for production of optically stimulated luminescence (OSL) neutron dosimeters using Al2O3:C. Nucl. Instr. Meth. Phys. Res. B 260, 663-671 (2007).
- Sykora G.J., Akselrod M.S., Salasky M, Marino S.A. Novel Al2O3:C,Mg Fluorescence Nuclear Track Detectors for Passive Neutron Dosimetry. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 126, 278-283 (2007).
- Akselrod, M.S., Multilayer recording and dynamic performance of volumetric two-photon-absorbing fluorescent Al2O3 media. Jap. J. Appl. Phys. 46 No. 6B 3902-3905 (2007).
- Akselrod, M.S., McKeever, S.W.S., and Botter-Jensen, L. Optically stimulated luminescence and its use in medical dosimetry, Radiat. Meas. 41S1 S78-S99 (2007).
- US PATENT #5,892,234: McKeever, S.W.S., Akselrod, M.S., and Markey, B.G., Method for Determining an Unknown Absorbed Dose of Radiation Using Optically Stimulated Luminescence (April 6, 1999).
- US PATENT #5,962,857: McKeever, S.W.S., Akselrod, M.S., and Markey, B.G. Method for the Fast Determination of an Unknown Absorbed Dose of Radiation with High Sensitivity Using Optically Stimulated Luminescence (October 5, 1999) International Publication Number WO 98/12575 03/26/1998.
- US PATENT #6,316,782: Akselrod, M.S., and McKeever, S.W.S. System and Method for the Detection Of Abnormal Radiation Exposures Using Pulsed Optically Stimulated Luminescence (November 13, 2001)
- US PATENT #6,414,324: Colyott, L.E., Akselrod, M.S., McKeever, S.W.S. Method of Preparing Detection Materials For Use in UV Detection Using Phototransferred Thermoluminescence. (July 2, 2002).
- US PATENT #6,811,607: Akselrod, M.S. Method for forming aluminum oxide material used in optical data storage. (November 2, 2004).
- US PATENT #6,846,434: Akselrod, M.S. Aluminum oxide material for optical data storage. (January 25, 2005).
- US PATENT #6,950,382: Akselrod, M.S., and Akselrod, A. E. Method for thermal erasing information stored in an aluminum oxide data storage medium. (September 27, 2005).
- US PATENT #6,936,830: Gaza, R., Akselrod, M.S., McKeever, S.W.S. Optically stimulated luminescence radiation dosimetry method to determine dose rates during radiotherapy procedures. (August 30, 2005).
- US PATENT #7,072,275: Akselrod, M.S., Orlov, S.S. Optical single-bit recording and fluorescent readout utilizing aluminum oxide single crystals. (July 4, 2006).
- US PATENT #7,098,470: Akselrod, M.S., Akselrod, A.E. Method for non-destructive measuring of radiation dose. (August 29, 2006).
- US PATENT #7,141,804, Akselrod, M.S., Yoder, R.C., Akselrod, G.M. Detection of neutrons and heavy charged particles. (November 28, 2006).
- US PATENT #7,190,649: Akselrod, M.S., Orlov, S.S., and Akselrod, A.E. Bit-wise optical data storage utilizing aluminum oxide single crystal medium.(March 13, 2007)
- US Patent #7,902,525 M. S. Akselrod and G.J. Sykora, Method of luminescent solid state dosimetry of mixed radiations. (March 8, 2011).
- US Patent #7,943,911 M. S. Akselrod and G.J. Sykora, Method of luminescent solid state dosimetry of mixed radiations (May 17, 2011).
- US Patent # 7,964,854 M. S. Akselrod and G.J. Sykora, Method of luminescent solid state dosimetry of mixed radiations (June 21, 2011).